Saturday, November 16, 2013

IIM-Calcutta PGPEX Skype interview experience.

After getting into SP Jain PGPM, life became busy. There were so many things to do as the Web learning module have already been started. While I was super exited to get into such a premier school, I was kinda hoping that I get some call from other B-Schools as well so that I could have more than 1 choice. So on a fine evening of 27th Oct, I got a mail from IIM-PGPEX office that I've been shortlisted for 8th batch of PGPEX program and my interview will be on 16th of Nov.


IIM Calcutta Auditorium


The Interview was scheduled for 8.30 PM IST which is somewhat 7 AM Pacific Time. However at 3 o'clock in the night, I received a call asking me whether it is possible to conduct the interview at 6.30 PM IST. I said OK and got up to be ready.  At around 6.45 IST, the interview started.

There were two professors present in Skype. Let's say I1 & I2.

I1: So Prithwish, before we start please introduce yourself.

M: I went through the same introduction I standardized for all MBA interviews. Starting with my current job description and location then slowly moving towards education, extra curricular activities and ending with my Entrepreneurship venture. Surprisingly, I wasn't stopped this time.

I2: OK, we see that you are already in a very good position. Why MBA?

I was prepared for this. I started with my current job description and slowly described why a presence of a MBA degree would help me go forward.

I1: Why IIM-C PGPEX?

Umm.. because first it's IIM, second it's IIM and third it's IIM. "I believe that IIM carries a brand name that is recognized world wide. Apart from that the quality of education and alumni network will  be a definite advantage over others."

I1: But you can get that from freely available resources like Courseera.

"No alumni network, no degree which I can show to employer, no brand name. Plus no guidance from professors".

I2: So you're working for a very high-tech client, describe the atmosphere there.

Atmosphere?? Err... OK. I'm sure they asked for the weather. Described the kind of products being developed at client site and the kind of hi-tech people I work with as if that automatically make me a tech-savvy guy.

I1: What is your project all about?

Described.

I2: So what role are you aspiring for? Did you analyse the opportunity cost?

Told them that I am looking for consultant roles.

I1: Tell me about your entrepreneurship venture.

Told.

I1: Are you married?

"No Sir."

I2: Do you have any questions for us?

"Nope. Your website is very informative" (Copied from a friend in ISB :P)

Overall it was OK. Total interview lasted for 15-20 mins. Nothing great. As usual the face of the professors were unreadable. Now another wait begins.

1 comments:

  1. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..ISB Family Business Management | ISB Interview Questions and Answers

    ReplyDelete